The M+ collections care team and specialist conservators ensure the good care, preservation, and use of all objects in the M+ Collections.
The Work of Collections Care
We enable the long-term use and access to the M+ Collections, both in physical and digital format. Our strategy is to do what is necessary to care for each object and to ensure that the work’s integrity is preserved and protected for the benefit of future generations.
Working closely with curators, archivists, exhibition designers, librarians, registrars, and collections managers, we ensure the responsible storage, movement, and display of our collections at the museum and at international venues.
We also collaborate with local, regional, and international cultural professionals to bring innovation to the care of our collections and take part in the ongoing conversations related to the best practices of conservation and collections care.
The Work of Conservators
Our specialist conservators and scientists use a combination of preventative and remedial techniques to preserve the museum’s collection objects in storage and during all stages of display. A key aim of our approach is to slow down material change of an object through research into artistic practices, scientific study, preventative measures, and, if necessary, hands-on treatment.
We work alongside curators, scientists, and researchers to ensure the best assessment and treatment of objects, as well as the close supervision of incoming and outgoing loans.
We work on a wide variety of objects that range in materials and techniques. Our areas of expertise and conservation disciplines include:
- Installation Art and Time-Based Media
- Preventive Conservation
- Conservation Science
As conservators, we:
- Preserve the collections through a preventive and risk-based approach
- Fully document all treatments and preserve cultural significance with minimal intervention
- Develop and improve conservation practice and treatments through research and analysis
- Monitor the museum’s display and storage environments to ensure a stable and sustainable environment for all collection objects
- Support the museum to implement best practices required for long-term preservation of its collections
- Contribute to the museum’s comprehensive reference for storage, handling, display, and access
- Provide appropriate care of all objects that are temporarily within M+’s care
- Join and lead collaborative research projects and initiatives to examine and adopt conservation strategies at the highest standards