Sorry

M+ no longer supports this web browser.

M+ 不再支持此網頁瀏覽器。

M+ 不再支持此网页浏览器。

Wong and Ouyang Project Archives 王歐陽(香港)有限公司作品檔案

[circa 1954]–2007
The Wong & Ouyang Project Archives showcase the work of Jackson Wong Chack-Sang, one of the most prolific and influential architects in Hong Kong in the post-war period and a member of the seminal first class (of 1955) of the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Hong Kong. The archives contain one of Wong’s student drawings, for a project for a Chinese professor’s courtyard house. This project illustrates an early attempt by a Hong Kong architect to reconcile a traditional Chinese typology with European modernism.

The firm of Wong & Ouyang had its beginnings in 1957, when Jackson Wong established Wong Ng and Associates; Leslie Ouyang joined the practice in 1959. These archives focus on early projects, before the firm became known for its designs for large-scale projects in Hong Kong such as Pacific Place and Times Square. One seminal early project is Wong’s own house at Chung Hom Kok Road, Hong Kong (1964–1966), with its cantilevers perched on a sloping site and bold use of floor-to-ceiling glass and interior and exterior fair-faced concrete. The firm further developed its experiments with topography in medium- and large-scale developments like Wah Yuen Chuen (1977–1981), a group of five thirty-two-storey towers on a series of interconnected terraces; and the Peak Villas (1983), three garden houses whose design responds to the triangular site.

The firm made its first foray into healthcare design with the Hong Kong Adventist Hospital (1967–1971), comprising a circular tower—a novelty at the time—that greatly reduced the need for corridors and created direct lines of sight between nurses and patients. Hutchison House (1972–1975) was the firm’s first grade-A central-core office building. The Bond Centre (now the Lippo Centre) (1985–1987) was a breakthrough project designed with American architect Paul Rudolph, whose sculptural approach produced the interlocking cubic shapes of the centre’s twin glass-clad towers.
The material relating to the built projects of Wong and Ouyang was donated to M+ by the firm in 2017, and the courtyard house drawing was donated by the family of Jackson Wong in 2018.
M+ selected projects for acquisition. The firm was then asked to donate all available archival material relating to these projects.
Arranged chronologically by project.

Details

Object Number
CA16
Archive Creator
Archival Level
Fonds
Date
[circa 1954]–2007
Dimensions
163 items
Credit Line
M+, Hong Kong. Gift of Wong & Ouyang (HK) Ltd., 2017; M+, Hong Kong. Gift of Family of Jackson C.S. Wong, 2018
CA16/1

Drawing, Chinese professor's courtyard house

View Details
CA16/2

Archival material, Residence of Mr Jackson Wong (1966), Chung Hom Kok Road, Hong Kong

View Details
CA16/3

Archival material, Hong Kong Adventist Hospital (1971), Stubbs Road, Hong Kong

View Details
CA16/4

Archival material, Hutchison House (1975), Harcourt Road, Hong Kong

View Details
CA16/5

Archival material, Wah Yuen Chuen (1981), Ha Kwai Chung, Hong Kong

View Details
CA16/6

Archival material, Peak Villas (1983), Peak Road, Hong Kong

View Details
CA16/7

Archival material, Bond Centre (now Lippo Centre) (1984–1988), Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong

View Details
Loading